Level 1 – Ride Smart
This is your introduction to the track. All riders start here. This level offers the first time 'track' rider and the less experienced rider the opportunity to improve bike handling skills in a safe environment and will improve your
confidence and enjoyment both on and off the track.
Riders can repeat this level several times until they feel confident to move to Level 2.
The Aim of this course is to give you sound understanding of what is required to ride a bike safely and quickly and at the same time give
you more confidence and experience for riding on the street.
Here is a brief outline of what is covered in each session.
- Weight Transfer
- Changing Gears
- How to avoid a crash
- How to help your bike handle the track
Ridedays WA has tried hard to design the course so there is minimal preparation required:
WHAT DO YOU NEED?
Your bike needs to be in good condition.
Riding Gear required: Gloves must be gauntlet style motorcycle gloves
Boots – motorcycle boots, calf high
Helmet – Full face with approved standards label affixed
Clothing – Leather or reinforced material motorcycle specific jacket (no exposure of skin between jacket/pants when on motorcycle). Leather pants or Kevlar reinforced jeans or similar, no skinny leg jeans accepted.
Back protectors are recommended
Don’t let that put you off. We can hire them to you (pending sizing & availability) at a cost of $100* Prior booking is required. *$50 refunded if leathers returned undamaged.
BIKE: Supply your own and must be in good condition. Although not necessary, it is best to trailer your bike to the track. This gives you the opportunity to prepare your bike before you arrive and if you do have any problems during the day, you will have a way of getting yourself and bike back home.
CHECK BEFORE YOU LEAVE HOME: Oil levels, coolant levels, tyre pressure, lube and adjust your chain (not too tight!).
- Check the pedals and handbrakes. You want to make sure they’re firm and not soft or spongy.
- Visually inspect both the front and rear brakes looking for wear on your brake pads and make sure there is at least 3mm of pad left
- Suspension:Smooth movement; proper adjustment; no leaks.
- Chain or belt:Tension; lube, look for wear.
- Levels:Brake fluid, oil, final drive, transmission, coolant, fuel.
- Leaks:Check all systems for leaks.
- Condition:Check colour of brake fluid & coolant.
- Fuel:Top up your fuel tank close to the circuit (Wanneroo town site /Joondalup) and if you can, bring some spare fuel. Fuel is not available for sale at the circuit. Expect to use a full tank on the day. You’ll do approximately 200kms, usually flat out.
- Levers:Pivot bolt and nut; action and position correct; pivots lubed.
- Cables:Ends and shafts lubed; no fraying or kinks; no binding when handlebar turned; proper adjustment.
- Hoses:Check for damage or leaks, proper routing.
- Throttle:Snaps closed freely when released; no excess play.
- Tyres:Pressure correct (cold), tread condition. No cuts, bulges, splits or punctures of foreign objects and are not worn past the wear markers
- Wheels:Spokes tight and intact; rims true; no free play when flexed; bearing seals intact; spin freely.
Additionally, on the day
- Remove or tape over all headlights, tail lights, indicators, number plates & Speedometer.
- Remove or wire up centre stands and use side stand only.
- Remove tape over or turn in rear view mirrors.
- Tape or wire passenger pegs in closed position.
- Remove luggage racks, gear sacks etc.
Tape & some tools provided by us.
YOUR BIKE WILL be safety checked at the circuit and instructors will advise you on any further preparation required.
Full Day courses - Sign on commences 7.30am to 8.45am.
Rider Briefings to follow
On track from 9.00am to 4.00pm approx.
Each rider participates in approx. 7 x 15 minute sessions on the track followed by Q & A time.
Canteen available for snacks/lunch and refreshments all day.
We recommend you bring a water bottle for the day.
Pit crew and supporters are welcome to spectate
We use two exciting tracks:
- Barbagallo Raceway
Located end of Wattle Ave, off Old Yanchep Rd, off Joondalup Drive (north on the Mitchell freeway)
- Collie Motorplex
Powerhouse Road, just outside the beautiful township of Collie. Overnight camping available.
What we offer is a team of friendly, experienced & qualified coaches and officials who will take a
hands on interest in you and your desired outcome for the day.